Faulty items may be exchanged, or credit note/refund offered within 14 days with a store receipt.

Clothing in original condition and unworn can be returned for a refund or exchange within 14 days with a store receipt and tags intact.

For hygiene reasons, products not eligible for a refund or exchange include underwear, deodorants, feminine products, make up, socks and earrings.

According to Australian Consumer Law, we are not required to provide a refund or replacement if you change your mind. You can  choose a refund or replacement if an item is faulty. This is when the item:

  • Has a problem that would have stopped someone from buying the item if they had known about it.
  • Is unsafe
  • Is significantly different from the sample or description
  • Doesn’t do what we said it would, or what you asked for and can’t be easily fixed.

Please keep the receipt for proof of purchase.

When a customer is entitled to a refund

  • When the customer has taken reasonable care of the purchased products after they purchased them
  • Have not damaged the goods by using them in a way they were not intended to be used.
  • Prove they purchased the products from the store.

When a customer is not entitled to a refund

The Australian Consumer Law does not entitle a customer to a refund when:

  • Got what you asked for but simply changed your mind, found it cheaper elsewhere, decided you did not like the purchase or had no use for it.
  • Misused the product in any way that caused the problem
  • Knew of or were made aware of the faults before you bought the product
  • Asked for a service to be done in a certain way against the advice of the business or were unclear about what you wanted.

Time limit on refunds:

This depends on what is a reasonable time given, and the cost or quality of the item.

Electrical – 3 months with store receipt. Does not include change of mind.

Clothing – 14 days with tags intact, in original condition, not damaged and store receipt

Fridge Freezer items – 5 days with store receipt. Does not include discounted items.

Ambient Food – 14 days with proof of purchase, does not include change of mind.

In some circumstances, a store credit may be offered if a non food item is in same condition as it left the store with store receipt.

Faulty equipment:

In some cases where it may be difficult to ascertain whether a fault identified by the customer existed prior to sale or caused by inappropriate use after purchase, it is acceptable for the store to return the product to the supplier to assess if the customer is entitled to a refund.

Remedies for minor problems:

The store can choose to:

  • Provide a replacement that is identical or of equal value.
  • Give a refund
  • Give store credit


A consumer can ask for a refund/replacement when a product does not do a specific job or achieve a specific purpose if:

  • They relied on the store’s staff expertise or advice when choosing a product. This information would have been provided in person, over phone, email or message.
  • They implicitly informed the store or salesperson what they wanted the product to be able to do, either in person, over the phone or via email or message.
  • The store or salesperson stated the product could achieve that purpose.

Issues not considered as a faulty product:

  • Change of mind – eg: no longer liking the colour
  • A defect the consumer was aware about prior to purchase – eg: dent in metal water bottle with discounted sticker.
  • Fair wear and tear
  • A defect the consumer should have noticed on examination – for example: dent in a water bottle on the clearance rack.
  • Defect due to abnormal use eg: dropping and breaking a product.

If a consumer does not have a receipt and needs to make a claim, other ways to show proof of purchase are:

  • Credit card statement showing the store name on the statment
  • Copy or photograph or the receipt

Electronic copies are a valid proof of transaction, however, must be clear enough to show the purchase details.

If the consumer cannot show where the product was purchased, the supplier does not have to accept the claim.

Please refer to:

Competition and Consumer Act 2010